Friday, January 7, 2011

Breathless

Here's "Rachel's gripe of the day..."
Is there life out there besides Taylor Swift?
Honestly, every single time I get in the car and turn the radio, it's a Taylor Swift song. If not the first song I hear, maybe the third. Here's my variation on the Geico commercial, "give me 15 minutes, I'll give you at least one Taylor Swift song."

I don't hate Taylor Swift, I think she's just fine. Her voice is OK, she's a cute girl, and so far she seems to be an OK-halfway-decent-role model for young girls, and I appreciate that, even though my girls aren't old enough to give a hoot about her (thank goodness). Her songs are kinda catchy and cute, but jeez. They all sound exactly the same. I guess I get especially tired of them because I have about 5 fifth grade voice students right now, and most of them love Taylor Swift and like to sing her songs. I spend most of my lesson time drilling good vocal techniques and it's important to me that they learn what "real" vocal music is, but even I know when enough is enough and it's time to break out Taylor Swift. Nothing like ending the lesson with a little Taylor. And since I make about a dollar a minute, I can take it for that long.

But since no one is paying me to listen to her on the radio, I guess I'll have to keep changing the station and quit complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment